I thought the rifle shots were fireworks, even as I wondered what could be the occasion for festivity that evening of March 28.

“Or gunshots?” said my husband, who was reclining beside me in bed, just a moment ago reading on his phone.

I bolted upright and opened the police scanner app on my phone. I checked my watch and saw it was 9:45 p.m. There was only silence for a few seconds before the chatter started: “At least four gunshot victims … white SUV between Quincy and Columbus … suspect active.”

They were talking about my neighborhood. Then, someone said the suspect was walking down a street — our street!

My husband quickly turned down our lights and suggested we stay low. I lay on my stomach on our bedroom floor and fired off a text message to the Rapid City Police Department spokesman, asking what was happening in my downtown neighborhood.

My husband and I listening to the police scanner as we sat on the floor

I stayed glued to the scanner traffic, scribbling whatever I could catch on loose scraps of paper. I wanted my steno notebook, but I couldn’t remember where I put it.

“Ambulance in 100 block of Kansas City … Motor vehicle accident preceding the gunshots … going to CID to talk to investigators.”

My husband, who works as an editor for my paper, was already writing a news alert for our website and a late-breaking story for the following day’s paper. The city police chief had responded to his text message, confirming multiple people were injured in a shooting.

After midnight, as we were trying to wind down despite being anxious to know more, power inside the apartment went out. I peeked outside and saw downtown Rapid City in darkness; only the red rooftop sign for the Alex Johnson Hotel remained lit up.

Around 5:30 a.m., the Rapid City Police Department announced on social media that the shooting suspect had been caught. Dwight Quigley, a 28-year-old city resident, was arrested on charges of attempted murder and possessing a loaded firearm while intoxicated.

IMG_8155 (1)
The shooting happened in the 200 block of Columbus Street, in downtown Rapid City.

According to investigators, a car was traveling along Columbus Street when Quigley, who was on foot, began shooting at the occupants with a semi-automatic rifle.

The driver and two passengers got hit. The car continued moving forward, striking a power pole before falling into a ditch (which explained the power outage at home). A third passenger was injured in the crash.

Later that morning, I went to the scene with our reporter/photographer, Jim Holland. We saw the ditch where the car fell, the broken power pole and bits of plastic from the car.

Police described it as a random shooting, rare among acts of violence in the city.

Last month, Quigley pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. His prosecution continues.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s